So it's been a week since my last post; I apologize for my slacking. I really have no excuse, since I've been pretty bored in the past week. Then again, that's what happens when you don't have a job! Anyways, this past weekend was pretty exciting. On Saturday, my dad's work was sponsoring a project called "Bras for a Cause." Most of you know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. In honor of a local organization, Join the Journey, several businesses around town collected bras, whether new, old, or gently used, it didn't matter. This past Saturday, the bras were tied together and were supposed to fly through the air attached to a hot air balloon. Sadly, it was too windy to fly the balloon. Instead of flying around town, the balloons were still tied together, but they were attached to a lift to fly about 40 feet or so in the air above the highway. I donated 5 bras to the cause, and I was able to find 2 of them flying through the air. It was amazing to see them all tied together! There were 2600 bras collected, resulting in $2600 being donated to breast cancer research.
On Saturday night, my parents and I headed to a wedding reception for an old neighbor. She currently lives in Arizona, and she got married in Cancun last month. Since so many of her childhood friends and relatives still remain in the Midwest, she held a wedding reception here. There were pictures from the wedding on each table along with candles sitting in sand from the beach and a vase with sunflowers, the flower of the wedding. Similar to her brother's reception, there was a "before they met" slide show with pictures that started it all leading up to their marriage. They even played video clips from the wedding in Cancun. It was created very nicely. Then it was time for cake, which was some of the BEST chocolate cake I have ever had! And I don't normally eat cake. I don't know where it was from, but it was like eating fudge with butter cream frosting. It was AMAZING! And of course it had sunflowers made out of frosting on it. As tradition goes, the dance started shorting after starting with the father-daughter dance. It was a great reception, even if it was outside in 40 degree weather. Welcome to Minnesota!
Sunday contained even more excitement. My parents, sister, brother-in-law and I headed to the National Eagle Center for a day of family fun. I highly recommend the center for anyone and everyone. It is a lot of fun, even if you don't have little kids. And it's cheap! There are presentations with eagle demonstrations 3 times a day. We got to see the newest addition, a young bald eagle, flap his wings and eat his lunch, a rabbit leg. We also had our picture taken with a live eagle after the presentation, a adult bald eagle. There are interactive exhibits, such as coloring, taking quizzes, and seeing what it feels like having an eagle on your arm. On the second floor, there are some videos playing, as well as an observation deck overlooking the Mississippi River to find eagles soaring in the sky or sitting in a tree. My dad and I were lucky enough to see one soaring in the distance. It was a great experience. For lunch, we headed to an Irish pub, and it was very yummy. And then we wandered around town a bit looking at the pumpkin sculptures and scarecrows in honor of Sept-oberfest. I can't remember when I have done so much in one weekend before! It was a lot of fun. Now it's time to search for a job some more. One of these days I'll be lucky enough to go to work again. Until then, I have cleaning, and scrapbooking, and much more to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment