Monday, October 6, 2008

5 Weeks Down, 7 To Go

I'm sorry it's been so long since my last posting. It has been a crazy week! Especially with me working every day. Last Thursday was a pretty intense surgery day. The first kitty was a 4-month old neuter victim. Since kitty neuters take a whole 5 mins, they are just masked down. As the kitty was waking up, he decided not to wake up fully and passed out again. Next thing I know, the kitty stopped breathing and was turning blue. I freaked out! Luckily, I had a tube on the counter just in case, so the doctor quickly passed the tube and started doing CPR. Within a few seconds, the kitty started breathing again and all was well. It was a good ending, but we were paranoid the rest of the day. It was a great teaching experience for me though, cuz now I know even more signs to watch for during recovery. And just how important monitoring throughout recovery is.

The rest of the weekend was spent working, as usual. Today started a new month, so I started with a new doctor today. This doctor just happens to be owner of the clinic, and he gets the weirdest scenarios. Today we saw a sun conure for a wing trim and a nail trim. I've handled conures before with thanks to the most awesomest lab partner in the world. Her green cheek conure is soo friendly. The other unusual animal was a box turtle. The poor "girl" had severe myelitis, aka a really bad bacterial infection in her shell. The shell was rotting and peeling off on the bottom and abscessing on top. Hopefully the antibiotics help her, cuz they 've only had her for about 4 months.

Thats the extent of the excitement in the past week. Tomorrow should be just as exciting, cuz Tuesday is my new surgery day. I'll be sure to post all the weird stuff I see tomorrow. BTW, only 10 days left til I have a day off!!

No comments: